Sunday, July 20, 2008

Julia

Julia's bat mitzvah is this September. Enna and I photographed her brother's bar mitzvah and unfortunately we wont be able to photograph Julia's because we are booked for a wedding in NY on the same day:( Enna and I have become good friends with her family over the past few years and they are so much fun to photograph. Our weddings couples get a complimentary engagement shoot, or as we like to call it, a "get to know you shoot". I like to offer a similar portrait session when I am asked to photograph a bar/bat mitzvah, and while I am unable to be at her event, I was honored when they still wanted me for her portraits.

When I do a portrait I want to know about the person. I learned the importance of this while interning with the late, great Arnold Newman. Julia is a bookworm! She loves to read, especially Harry Potter, and spends a lot of time at the library. So for her shoot we started at the library, then spent some time around the family home. She was a natural in front of the camera and I know she is going to have an amazing bat mitzvah.

Here are just a few from the day.

Mazel Tov Julia!










On the stairwell of the newton library






Finding good details is so cool. I love this shot of her hands with the textured wall.




The stairwell in the family home had such amazing natural light.









The one above and the one below were taken on the dinning room table. I just loved the reflection and the curtains lit from the sun outside.